Monday, April 27, 2015

latest poetry obsession

We all know that April is poetry month, and I love, love, love finding new resources to teach poetry! My oh so fabulous co-worker Michelle introduced me to this book, and I am obsessed!

Naming the World: A Year of Poems and Lessons by Nancie Atwell

Naming the World is a collection of over 200 poems that are geared toward middle schoolers to help them make sense of the world they live in. Students are able to identify with these poems, and the discussions we have around them help the students gain perspective on their lives in a somewhat challenging transition period.

2 weeks ago, I was struggling to find some poetry to use with one of my 5th grade groups. I wanted something engaging that had some depth to it, while allowing for meaningful discussion as they transition into middle school. As I was expressing my concern to Michelle, she slaps this book on my desk and says, "I heard it was good, bought it a while ago, and haven't used it yet!" Well, here I am to tell you all that this book is AHH - MAZING! The students are able to connect with the poetry which allows for deeper understanding, and they love how some of the poems are written by middle schoolers!

Two favorites so far are, "Remembrance of a Friend" by Ben Williams and "The Little Boy" by Helen E. Buckly. The first one even moved us to tears! It was an incredibly humbling and powerful moment to share with my students. :)

What are some other fantastic poetry resources? Please share!


2 comments:

  1. Love this! I want to read those two poems! Thanks for the shout out! 🎉

    ReplyDelete

sol18: it's okay to cry

Being a parent requires an insane amount of patience, love, and understanding. It's the best and hardest job in the world. It means mis...