Tuesday, March 6, 2018

sol18 #6: can I ask you a personal question?

On Friday, we had an author visit our school, and today, the mayor came to read to our second graders. They were fantastic experiences for our students to get to interact with "celebrities." As with all guest visits, there is always time for a question/answer session. For some reason, a nervous feeling comes over me during this portion, because you just never know what will come out of kids' mouths!

"What kind of dog do you have?"
"Do you go on vacation?"
"How did you get into your career?"
"How many kids do you have?"
"What does your wife do?"
"What else do you do for fun?"
"How old are you?"

At first, I thought, "Oh, no... all these personal questions." But then I reflected on them and thought about a 7-8 year old. This is their way of connecting with an adult they've never met. By relating to this person, they will be able to remember this experience, even if they only remember what kind of dog he/she has!



8 comments:

  1. I love that you bring local people into your school community. How fun that these students went home and said that they got to speak with the mayor! I'm sure they have some interesting information about the mayor that their parents never would've found out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting! I love how they can connect to the community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They may seem personal to adults but not to kids. It's the how much money do you make? that makes me cringe. Great experience for the kids and the adults who visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great opportunity for your kids. And how better to relate to adults than to ask questions even tho we as adults may cringe when a question is asked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite personal question ever is; "Is your husband tall? He looks like he would be tall." -Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way when adults, especially those who are not familiar with the little ones! I love how the questions often turn into stories and then that story has miraculously happened to everyone.
    I also love how you call the guests "celebrities". SO true that they see them as that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do ask some good questions! When my 5th grade reading group was asking their "on the spot" questions to my cousin, I was so excited about what they were going to come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are the questions to note! Inquiring minds want to know! I can imagine. How fun for those littles and for the adults, too.

    ReplyDelete

sol18: it's okay to cry

Being a parent requires an insane amount of patience, love, and understanding. It's the best and hardest job in the world. It means mis...