Monday, March 12, 2018

sol18: drive thru conversations

Part of my morning routine is a swing through Starbucks drive thru to get my beloved iced caramel coffee with coconut milk. For about 5 months straight, I always got the grande. Then late January, James got 3 molars in a matter of 10 days. He was up in pain a couple times each night (poor babe). Of course, that means I'm up, too, but for much longer than he is. Even when he drifts off to dreamland, I'm still wide awake worrying about him.

After one of these teething episodes, I ordered a Venti for the first time. The employee noticed and asked if everything was ok because I normally get the grande. I responded with yes, just tired from a teething baby. She empathized, wished me luck, and sent me on my way.

The next morning (after a somewhat sleepless night), I pulled through the drive thru and ordered the Venti again. The same woman as the day before asked how my son was doing. We engaged in a quick conversation and again, she wished me well. How nice of her to stop her busy order-taking morning to check in with me about my little guy. We all know that Starbucks employees pride themselves on their quickness, but a little personal conversation goes a long way.

P.S. I'm still ordering the Venti. Even though I rarely finish it!





6 comments:

  1. Wow! A little conversation goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the saying? Mothers of little boys work from son up to son down? In your case, you worked overtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that saying but it's so true! For any mom!

      Delete
  3. The human touch, right? It makes a huge difference. May robots never replace us, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little things really do make a difference - hang in there - this too will pass. In the meantime, enjoy your Venti!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. A venti after a night with a teething baby is a must. Loved reading about this kind interaction!

    ReplyDelete

sol18: it's okay to cry

Being a parent requires an insane amount of patience, love, and understanding. It's the best and hardest job in the world. It means mis...