Friday, March 16, 2018

sol18: tales of a wife with a husband who travels & works from home (part 2)

Ding, ding, ding, the sound of the soft alarm at 3:20 a.m. waking my husband up for his 5 a.m. flight. He always sets the quietest alarm in hopes that I won't hear it. However, I had already been up since 2:45 anticipating the alarm, so I leaned over, said good morning, and we both got up together. We've been doing this long enough now that on early flight days, I can't fall back asleep. So, I get up with him.

I sipped slowly on coffee and did some writing while Jim got his last minute packing done. We hugged goodbye and I cried my eyes out. Seven days without each other, the longest we've been apart since marrying 5 years ago. I watched the cab drive off, cried some more, and tried my hardest to pull myself together to get ready for the day. I'm never the same when he's away...


11 comments:

  1. I feel for you. Stay strong and keep busy. I'm sure the days will pass quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so well written. I'm sorry you have this happen enough you've got the schedule down. Also, what's wild is that I found your post from the Two Writing Teachers SOL link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the comments, right? I link up every day!

      Delete
  3. It's so hard to be away from our loved ones- especially a spouse. I like the heartfelt reality of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got this! I'm sorry that you guys will be apart for so long, but it will be even better when get he gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Christine. Even that bowl of chocolate in your office won't help 7 days away. But, you can do this. You are one strong mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leah! The bowl of chocolate will be gone by Thursday. I can guarantee it! ;)

      Delete
  6. You're amazing that you can wake up that early in the morning and be up for the day.

    I'm sure it'll be hard to be home alone with the little one, but I have a feeling you've got this. Even though it's a long stretch of time, I have a hunch you'll make it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your words of encouragement. I'm lucky that our little guy is the absolute best. :)

      Delete

sol18: it's okay to cry

Being a parent requires an insane amount of patience, love, and understanding. It's the best and hardest job in the world. It means mis...