Wednesday, March 22, 2017

sol17 #22: hangman?

One of my second grade students finished up her lesson a few minutes early today, so she asked if we could play "Hangman."

Of course I said yes because it was one of my favorite games as a child and I haven't played it in years.

As we played the game, it got me thinking...

Why do we draw parts of a stick person hanging from a pole each time we guess a letter wrong? ...  This is so inappropriate... Who invented this crazy game? Oh no, is this game banned? Am I going to get in trouble?!


4 comments:

  1. I realized that one day and wondered how this became a game we play with kids. And how did it take me twenty-some years to realize it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny. I just googled "origin of hangman" thanks to reading this post. Fun fact, some people call it Gallows.

    Don't worry, though, I don't think you will get in trouble over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Leah! I googled it too... and read about a kid that got suspended for playing it - crazy!

      Delete

sol18: it's okay to cry

Being a parent requires an insane amount of patience, love, and understanding. It's the best and hardest job in the world. It means mis...