Wednesday, March 29, 2017

sol17 #29: knock, knock

I hear two soft taps on the glass window of my classroom door. I look up from my group to see a fifth grade student that graduated from my Reading Room a few months ago. I smile and motion for him to come in. Thinking he is asking to borrow a book or just sit and read for a few minutes, I'm surprised when he asks me,

"What level was I at when you saw me?"

I sat for a minute thinking about how to respond. I was hesitant to give him his level (I don't like giving these out without a meaningful conversation about it), but I knew where he was going with this, so I told him.

He smiled and told me the level he is at now and we talked about how much he improved: 2 1/2 years of growth in just over a year! Absolutely amazing.

I've known this student for a few years. He struggles in a lot of areas personally and academically, so having this shining moment with him was special for both of us.




1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you two got to share moment! He was so happy to go tell you! Thank you for everything you have done for him!

    ReplyDelete

sol18: it's okay to cry

Being a parent requires an insane amount of patience, love, and understanding. It's the best and hardest job in the world. It means mis...